We would like to thank all of our Veterans for their service and sacrifice. It is nice to see that many stores will be offering free or discounted services as a token of thanks for those who have served. For example, a Veteran can get a free meal at Golden Corral this Veterans Day (see https://www.usveteransmagazine.com/2019/10/veterans-day-freebies-2019/ for more information).
In our practice we have learned that the government also offers special benefits for Veterans and their families that can help with aging issues. Best of all these benefits are offered year round!
1. The first benefit is health care provided through the VA. Many Veterans are not aware that the VA can provide a variety of health care services, ranging from general medical care to hearing aides and prescription drugs. A Veteran’s eligibility depends on a few factors, including time period and years of service. For more information about receiving health services from the VA please visit: https://www.va.gov/health-care/apply/application/introduction
2. A second benefit is VA Pension and Aid & Attendance. The requirements to qualify for these benefits are as follows:
- Veteran is 65 years old or disabled
- Veteran or the surviving spouse of a Veteran who served in the military at least 90 days and served at least 1 day during a wartime date, as defined by the VA
- Veteran must not have been dishonorably discharged
- (For Aid & Attendance) Veteran or surviving spouse must require assistance with activities of daily living
- Meet the income and asset limits
This benefit provides a monthly financial payment for caregiving or assisted living expenses. The best part is that you do not need an attorney to obtain these benefits! For more information see https://www.benefits.va.gov/pension/aid_attendance_housebound.asp